Restaurant — Frequently Asked Questions

Can’t find your answer? Call us on 0333 004 7444 – We’re open Monday – Friday 9am – 5:30pm

Click on any question to reveal an answer

  • I don’t have a name for my business. Can I still get insurance coverage?
    A business name is a mandatory field for all companies.
  • I have a vehicle for my restaurant. Can that be covered under a restaurant insurance policy?
    Unfortunately, no. Any vehicles are not covered by restaurant coverage, but our insurance provider does offer vehicle insurance as a separate product. Please contact us for more information.
  • I have guest rooms at my restaurant. Can this be covered under a restaurant policy or will I have to purchase separate Guest House Insurance?
    Under our Restaurant Insurance, we can cover up to four guest rooms within your establishment. If you have between 4-12 rooms, it is likely that our Guest House policy will apply to you. Please contact us for more information.
  • How many staff can I employ under Restaurant Coverage?
    There are no limitations to staff numbers, but as part of your application we will ask you how much you pay in staff wages per year.
  • I drive a private car to do deliveries and pick up items for the restaurant. Is the stock in transit covered under the Restaurant Policy?
    Stock in Transit is standard under restaurant coverage as long as the vehicle is owned or leased by you as the business owner.
  • Is there a limit to Restaurant insurance coverage?
  • I have a function room at my establishment for private and special events. Are there restrictions on what type of functions I can hold there?
    This will depend on what the function room is used for. It is likely it is able to be covered, but when you apply for coverage, our customer service representative will inquire about its uses to determine if we can insure it.
  • Does Restaurant Insurance provide fruit machines or pool table coverage?
    Both of these items can be covered under business contents, but make sure that the sum insured reflects the costs of these items.
  • We offer some items to be cooked tableside for our guests. Does restaurant insurance cover this?
    Standard restaurant coverage includes this as part of public and product liability coverage.
  • Will Restaurant Insurance provide cover for damage to car parks and external furniture?
    Car parks are covered for Public Liability provided that you have opted for buildings coverage. Outdoor furniture is not covered.
  • We have a beer garden where we frequently host public BBQs during the summer. Will my policy cover this?
  • Will the outside patio and tables at my restaurant affect my policy?
    These would only be covered for Public Liability.
  • I own more than one restaurant. Can multiple locations be covered by one policy?
    At this time, our policies cover only one restaurant per insurance policy.
  • If I obtain an extended licence (past midnight 12AM) several times a year, can I still be covered?
    Yes we can still consider your premises.
  • Do you cover children’s play areas that are part of the restaurant?
    Children’s play areas are covered by the public liability section of your restaurant insurance, subject to terms and conditions.
  • I offer various kinds of entertainment in my establishment. What is covered under the restaurant insurance?
    We offer coverage for the following forms of entertainment: darts, bingo, pool, snooker, quiz nights, race nights, televised sporting events, gaming machines, private functions and occasional live music.
  • We lost power and suffered loss of refrigerated items. Are we covered for the loss of these items from the lack of electrical power that was outside of my control?
    We provide coverage up to £10,000.
  • I made an insurance claim, do I need to inform you of this when applying for a policy?
    Yes, it is important that any claims made within the last 5 years are declared at the time application; failure to declare a claim, may invalidate your insurance cover.
  • How do I get in touch via email?
    You may contact us via email or through various contact options on our website. Our office hours are: Monday to Friday 09.00am – 5.30pm.
  • Can I renew my policy online?
    Yes you can instruct us to renew your policy online. You can also do this over the phone, or via email.
  • If I receive a quote for insurance coverage, how long is it good for? How far in advance can I request a quote?
    Your insurance coverage quote is valid for 30 days from the day you receive it; you can only request a quote within 30 days of your renewal date.
  • Will I receive an email confirming my insurance coverage? Are the documents available to print?
    Yes, a confirmation email will be issued within 48 hours of the successful purchase of your insurance policy. Documents confirming the level of cover will be included with the confirmation email and should be thoroughly checked upon receipt. Any queries or discrepancies should be reported immediately to ensure that your cover is unaffected. Once you are in receipt of your confirmation email, your documents can be accessed, downloaded or printed by accessing your account using the login and password you created when obtaining your quote.
  • If I renew my policy, do I receive any new documents?
    Yes you will receive new policy documents.
  • I don’t have an email address. Do I need one to obtain a quote?
    A valid email address is required in order to obtain an online quote. If you do not have one, you can still obtain an insurance quote by calling us directly on 0333 300 3444.
  • What are the coverage exclusions?
    Your policy documents will include any related exclusions, terms and conditions. For particular questions regarding your policy and any exclusions, please contact our customer service representatives.
  • What is the standard excess and out of pocket cost to me?
    The policy excess or “out of pocket cost” is outlined on the ‘Your Summary’ section of your policy documentation.
  • What is an Employer Reference Number (ERN)?
    The ERN or Employer Reference Number is also known as the Employer PAYE Reference, is given to every business that is registered with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer. Businesses that pay any employee above the PAYE threshold are required to have an ERN, which is the reference number for their employees’ income tax and national insurance contributions.
    The ERN is printed on mandatory documents including the P45, P60, P11/D, and on most pay slips. The format of the ERN is usually 999/XX99999 or 999/X99999.
    Some businesses are not assigned an ERN because all employees (including labour only subcontractors, trainees and apprentices) are paid below the PAYE threshold.
  • Why is my Employer Reference Number needed for an insurance quote?
    If you select Employers’ Liability and your business is not exempt from holding a HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Employer Reference Number (ERN), you’ll need to tell us your ERN.
    We need to give Employers’ Liability insurance policy details including, where appropriate, your ERN, to the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) who will add the details to their electronic database. The database helps people who have suffered injury or disease at work in the UK quickly and easily find the insurance company, which was providing Employers’ Liability insurance at the time their injury or disease was sustained.
  • What is the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO)?
    The Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) is a service set up by the insurance industry. It helps people who have suffered injury or disease at work quickly and easily find the relevant insurance company. To do this, ELTO needs insurance companies to collect their customers’ Employer Reference Number (ERN) where cover for Employers’ Liability has been included. For more information, please visit
  • What form of payment do you accept?
    We accept payments via direct debit or credit/debit cards. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, Visa Electron and Solo Card. We do not accept cheques or cash.