Commercial Landlord Insurance — Frequently Asked Questions

Can’t find your answer? Call us on 0333 004 7444 – We’re open Monday – Friday 9am – 5:30pm

Click on any question to reveal an answer

  • Are boilers covered?
    All landlord insurance coverage includes buildings cover that provides for equipment break-downs, such as boilers. This covers repair or replacement of your boiler, no matter how old or how it broke down. It does not cover normal wear and tear.
  • How do I get in touch via email?
    You may contact us via email or through various contact options on our website. Our opening hours are; Monday to Friday 09.00am-5.30pm.
  • Can I renew my policy online?
    Yes you can instruct us to renew your policy online. You can also do this over the phone, or via email.
  • If I receive a quote for insurance coverage, how long is it good for? How far in advance can I request a quote?
    Your insurance coverage quote is valid for 30 days from the day you receive it; you can only request a quote within 30 days of your renewal date.
  • I live outside the UK. Can I purchase landlord insurance?
    As long as the property you wish to insure is in the UK, you are eligible to purchase landlord in-surance. Our company only provides coverage for properties within the UK.
  • My address is not on your drop down list or is shown incorrectly. What do I do?
    Please contact us directly if you experience either of these issues.
  • I don’t have an email address. Do I need one to obtain a quote?
    A valid email address is required in order to obtain an online quote. If you do not have one, you can still obtain an insurance quote by calling us directly on 0333 300 3444 during our opening hours; Monday to Friday 09.00am – 5.30pm.
  • What is my rebuild value?
    Rebuild value is the amount of money it would cost to completely rebuild your building/property in the event it was destroyed beyond repair. The rebuild value puts your home back to the condition it was before the irreparable damage occurred. The rebuild value is different than your property’s resale or market value. Your rebuilding cost can be obtained by having a qualified individual such as surveyor, mortgage adviser, or leasing agent, examine your property or by finding ‘rebuild calculator’ online.
  • I am unsure of the date or amount of my claim.
    Please contact us for information relating to any claims you have made with BusinessDirect.
  • What does public liability coverage include?
    Public liability coverage protects you as the property owner from legal liability for death or bodily harm on third-party individuals (other than an employee). It also covers loss or damage to third party property from out of the operation of your business.
  • What does equipment breakdown coverage include?
    Equipment breakdown coverage is provided for the electrical and mechanical equipment in your property. This coverage is standard on residential landlord insurance policies.
  • What does employer’s liability coverage include?
    Employer’s liability coverage protects you, as the property or business owner, against any claims for compensation from employees who are injured on a job for which you are legally liable.
  • What does malicious damage coverage include?
    Malicious damage coverage protects your property from any intentional damage done by people lawfully on the premises, such as tenants or invited visitors. Examples of this kind of intentional damage include vandalism, graffiti, or cannabis farms.
  • Does my landlord insurance coverage provide for rugs or carpets on the property?
    Yes, this needs to be included within your contents sum insured.
  • What does the legal expenses coverage provide?
    Legal expenses cover provides finances for legal costs related to you as a landlord such as: legal defence, eviction of squatters, property damage, contract disputes, and rent recovery.
  • What does Theft by Tenant coverage include?
    Theft by Tenant coverage provides funds for any items of the property stolen by tenants. Examples include copper pipes or boilers, among others.
  • Do I have to be a business to purchase landlord insurance?
    No, you can buy landlord coverage even if you only own one property on your own, not as a business.
  • What are the coverage exclusions?
    Your policy documents will include any related exclusions, terms and conditions. For particular questions regarding your policy and any exclusions, please contact our customer service representatives.
  • What is the standard excess and out of pocket cost to me?
    The excess or out of pocket cost to you for your policy is found within your policy documents on the ‘Your Summary’ page. If you have any additional questions, please contact us.
  • What form of payment do you accept?
    We accept payments via direct debit or credit/debit cards. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Visa Electron. We do not accept cheques or cash.
  • What is an Employer Reference Number (ERN)?
    The ERN or Employer Reference Number is also known as the Employer PAYE Reference, is given to every business that is registered with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer. Businesses that pay any employee above the PAYE threshold are required to have an ERN, which is the reference number for their employees’ income tax and national insurance contributions.
    The ERN is printed on mandatory documents including the P45, P60, P11/D, and on most pay slips. The format of the ERN is usually 999/XX99999 or 999/X99999. Some businesses are not assigned an ERN because all employees (including labour only subcontractors, trainees and apprentices) are paid below the PAYE threshold.
  • Why is my Employer Reference Number needed for an insurance coverage quote?
    If you select Employers’ Liability and your business is not exempt from holding a HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) Employer Reference Number (ERN), you’ll need to tell us your ERN.
    We need to give Employers’ Liability insurance policy details including, where appropriate, your ERN, to the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) who will add the details to their electronic database. The database helps people who have suffered injury or disease at work in the UK quickly and easily find the insurance company, which was providing Employers’ Liability insurance at the time their injury or disease was sustained.
  • What is the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO)?
    The Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) is a service set up by the insurance industry. It helps people who have suffered injury or disease at work quickly and easily find the relevant insurance company. To do this, ELTO needs insurance companies to collect their customers’ Employer Reference Number (ERN) where cover for Employers’ Liability has been included. For more information, please visit
  • Will I receive an email confirming my insurance coverage? Are the documents available to print?
    Yes, a confirmation email will be issued within 48 hours of the successful purchase of your insurance policy. Documents confirming the level of cover will be included with the confirmation email and should be thoroughly checked upon receipt. Any queries or discrepancies should be reported immediately to ensure that your cover is unaffected. Once you are in receipt of your confirmation email, your documents can be accessed, downloaded or printed by accessing your account using the login and password you created when obtaining your quote.
  • If I renew my policy, do I receive any new documents?
    Yes you will receive new policy documents.