Cafe and Sandwich Shop — Frequently Asked Questions

Can’t find your answer? Call us on 0333 004 7444 – We’re open Monday – Friday 9am – 5:30pm

Click on any question to reveal an answer

  • What types of Café and Sandwich Shop establishments do you insure?
    We can offer cover for almost all types of shops including: Coffee shops, Bistro’s, etc.
  • Do I need Public Liability Insurance and can you cover me?
    Yes, and Yes. Any business owner or manager, such as a cafe business, where members of the public come onto your premises, has a responsibility for their welfare, so you will certainly need public liability insurance. As for covering you, that’s what we do, making it our business to protect your business, so you’ll find that our cafeinsurance coverage comes with the liability insurance cover you require as standard.
  • What is an Employer Reference Number (ERN)?
    The ERN or Employer Reference Number is also known as the Employer PAYE Reference, is given to every business that is registered with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as an employer. Businesses that pay any employee above the PAYE threshold are required to have an ERN, which is the reference number for their employees’income tax and national insurance contributions
    The ERN is printed on mandatory documents including the P45, P60, P11/D, and on most pay slips. The format of the ERN is usually 999/XX99999 or 999/X99999.
    Some businesses are not assigned an ERN because all employees (including labour only subcontractors, trainees and apprentices) are paid below the PAYE threshold.
  • We lost power and suffered loss of refrigerated items. Are we covered for the loss of these items from the lack of electrical power that was outside of my control?
    We provide coverage up to £10,000.
  • I own more than one Cafe and Sandwich Shop, can multiple locations be covered by one policy?
    At this time, our policies cover only one shop per insurance policy.
  • Will the outside patio and tables at my establishment affect my policy?
    These would only be covered for Public Liability.
  • I drive a private car to do deliveries and pick up items for the Cafe and Sandwich business. Is the stock in transit covered under my Policy?
    Stock in Transit is standard under cafe and sandwich shop policy coverage as long as the vehicle is owned or leased by you as the business owner.
  • How many staff can I employ under my policy?
    There are no limitations to staff numbers, but as part of your application we will ask you how much you pay in staff wages per year.
  • Can I renew my policy online?
    Yes, you can instruct us to renew your policy online. You can also do this over the phone, or via email.
  • What is the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office (ELTO)?
    The Employers’Liability Tracing Office (ELTO) is a service set up by the insurance industry. It helps people who have suffered injury or disease at work quickly and easily find the relevant insurance company. To do this, ELTO needs insurance companies to collect their customers’Employer Reference Number (ERN) where cover for Employers’Liability has been included. For more information, please visit
  • What form of payment do you accept?
    We accept payments via direct debit or credit/debit cards. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Visa Electron. We do not accept cheques or cash.